Monday, June 17, 2013

Bowen Therapy - More Alternative Medicine

Well, it's been another interesting day in the Medical Mystery World of Cindy Tittelfitz.

When I saw the PCP about two months ago, as well as when I saw the ENT and Neurologist, they all mention how tight my upper back, neck and shoulders were. I concurred with their assessment, mentioning that I just haven't addressed that pain with all of these other, more concerning, symptoms being prevalent.

A few days before I saw the Neurologist again last month, I started with this weird, new symptom. 

It's like "micro" spasms right in those same areas and it's really prevalent when I first wake up in the morning.  It can also be described as a buzzing-like sensation.  I described it to Jeff and says he totally relates - since he has it all of the time!  I teased him I was going to start calling him Buzz.  Buzz Lightyear. But since it's almost 24/7,  he retorted I should call him "Buzz All-Year"! 

Sometimes when I lay down during the day, I can feel it then, too.  A few times, I've even felt it in my right arm nearest my elbow.  I know, I've got some of the weirdest symptoms ever. Anyway, I mentioned it to the Neurologist and he gave me a referral for Physical Therapy to somehow "untighten" those muscles and that that might help the "buzzing". 

Today, I went to that appointment.  After describing my seemingly endless list of symptoms, possible diagnoses and/or theories, as well as alternative medicine treatments I've explored (acupressure, Sacral-Cranial Therapy, massage therapy, naturopathy, etc.) he seemed to take on a different demeanor. 

I thought I might get chided for seeking witchery or wacky quackery but he sat up straight and recommended another type of Alternative Medicine protocol but that he could administer as a Western Medicine Practitioner - and that might be a type of therapy that could combine the benefits of Sacral-Cranial Therapy, acupressure and magnet therapy called Bowen Therapy.  He explained that it targets the nervous system and creates healing energy through neurological impulses to the brain.  It's also suppose to be a good treatment for pain.  It's done with a light touch with 2 minute intervals. 

The therapist told me that the more damage that has been done, the more drastic my body would react at first.   I might feel like a truck hit me tomorrow or like I did a really intense work out.  Nice.  And that the benefits might not be felt for up to three days.  He recommended a once-a-week regiment for at least three weeks. 

Well, true to form, it knocked me onto my butt for the rest of the day.  I also had one of the most intense headaches ever.   I have some essential oils upstairs that I wanted to try for the headache, but I seriously didn't think I could make it up the stairs, so I grabbed the Advil that was a few steps away, took 600mg and laid down on the sofa for the next four hours.  I sipped on 3 glasses of water the whole time and did a little stretching on the way to the bathroom in between!

The headache has mostly subsided and when Jeff got home at 6:00, I pulled out a casserole that Cindy Eastburn had made for us and we had dinner.  I'm feeling better now but will definitely be ready for bed soon.

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there! I hope the Bowen therapy does wonders for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Laura! Have you ever heard of Bowen therapy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of it, but I don't know all the details. I know it has helped many people.

      Delete